Wednesday, October 24, 2012

NFS mounting Synology NAS shares on (fresh) Ubuntu 12.10

An accidental 'make install' in an incorrectly configured dev environment blatted part of my Ubuntu installation. I thought removing and adding the affected packages and then later an upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 might fix this but ended up having to do a fresh install. Annoying, but it let me rejig a few things on my dual boot (Win7/Ubuntu) PC in the process.

This is a minor note but I was trying to mount some shares on my Synology NAS via NFS but the mount command kept failing, telling me that it was due to a 'wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock' or possibly one of a variety of other reasons. Somewhat surprisingly, it turns out that the desktop version of Ubuntu 12.10 is missing the NFS packages required to facilitate this. To correct this:

sudo apt-get install nfs-common

Then you can run something like the following to see your files on the NAS:

sudo mount yournashost.home.net:/volume1/music /mnt/music

Don't forget to update /etc/fstab if you want these mounts to be brought up each time the system boots. Tab separated.

yournashost.home.net:/volume1/music /mnt/music nfs rw 0 0

No comments:

Post a Comment